Noxema has been a staple in my skin care routine for years. I can honestly remember seeing a blue Noxema jar on my bathroom counter as far back as the 80’s. I wasn’t using it back then, but my parents swore by it. So it was only natural that I would use it too when I was old enough. I remember how fascinated I was with the smooth creamy texture of it, and how it smelled like mints. When I was 13 I was finally able to use it, and I have been using it ever since.
In recent years I’ve been a bit more cognizant of what I put in and on my body as far as chemicals. My diet consists of mostly non GMO and organic foods, and the products I use on my skin are typically organic, vegan/vegetarian, paraben and sulfate free. I’ve gotten rid of all of my skin care products that were made with harsh chemicals, but for some reason I couldn’t let the Noxema go. I knew there was nothing about the product that was non GMO or paraben free, but I couldn’t bring myself to stop using it. A few days ago I decided to check the label for the ingredients and my heart dropped when I researched what I saw.
While the label states that Noxema is filled with Eucalyptus oil, it also has several harsh and dangerous chemicals in it. Here’s a little info on some of what I found:
- Propylene Glycol – Has been deemed by the FDA to be “safe” for use in food, but is also used to make artificial fog, and is used as a solvent in the paint and plastic industries. Depending on the grade of PG being used, it can also be found in coolants and antifreeze. The grade is never indicated on the Noxema container (side eye). When used in food, its referred to as a carbohydrate.
- Stearic Acid – Several studies have linked it to cancer. Known to cause organ toxicity and neurotoxicity problems
- Ammonium Hydroxide – Used in industrial cleaning and tire manufacturing. Not something I want on my skin.
- Potassium Chloride – Used in ice melters and is known to cause gastrointestinal distress
These are just a few of the chemicals found in Noxema, but it was enough to get me to stop using it. This just proves that we need to be pro-active in reading the label of the products we use and consume. We need to become familiar with the names of the chemicals that have been placed in the items we are purchasing, our bodies will thank us for it later!
Until next time…