For women, the most sensitive part of our body is our vagina… vagine, vajayjay, honey pot, coolata, whatever you want to call it. it s one of the most sensitive areas on our bodies. Due to its sensitivity, we must handle it with care!
During my quest to lead a more natural and organic lifestyle, I stumbled across organic feminine products. Since most feminine products claim to be hypoallergenic, I never really thought about the chemicals in the products I used being toxic. After subscribing to Lola (organic tampon subscription) I decided to do a bit more research on the chemicals that are alive and well in the products that the majority of women are using.
The vagina is lined with a mucous membrane that is kept moist by cells on its surface and by secretions from the glands in the cervix (I sound smart don’t I? I’m not here is where I found that out). Many of the products used by women contain chemicals that are not to be used on mucous membranes because the are known to increase risk of cancer, cause rashes, release formaldehyde and cause toxicity. Chemicals like Pesticide residues, parabens, and preservatives really have no business touching such a sensitive area of the body.
Here’s a Little Trivia
- Chemical products are used by the majority of women in the United States
- 86% of women use tampons in the U.S.
- African American and Latina women are impacted the most by these toxic chemicals because they are more frequent users of products like douche, wipes, and sprays
- Feminine products like douche, wipes and sprays are used by 10 to 40% of women in the U.S.
For more information, please see the Chem Fatale report from Women Voices
Here are a list of the chemicals that are not to be used on mucous membranes, increase risk of cancer and cause toxicity. A full list can be found here
Hall of Shame
Here is a partial list of some of the brands of products out there that contain all or some of these toxic chemicals. A full list of products can be found here
- Summer’s Eve (been using this since I was a child)
There are a number of plant based and organic products by companies that can be used as alternatives for mainstream feminine care. Here are a few:
- Honey Pot – Feminine wash, pads, and wipes ( Product Junkie Approved)
- Seventh Generation – Unbleached pads and tampons
- Lola – Organic unbleached cotton tampons (Product Junkie Approved)
- Natracare – Organic panty liners, tampons and pads (Product Junkie Approved)
- The Honest Company – Organic tampons, panty liners, and tampons
- ORGANYC – Organic tampons and pads
Where to buy?
While many of the products I’ve listed can only be purchased online, you can actually buy many of these products at stores like Whole Foods, Walgreens, and Target.
The corporate pharmaceutical companies have the power and the money to detox the box! They can make their products organic, bleach free and chemical free and keep women healthy! Take action by writing your local senators, protesting companies and contacting the pharmaceutical companies to have them make this change!
Let me know what products you all decide to purchase! I’d love to hear about them.
Until next time…